Saturday, May 15, 2010

Ramona

I've been researching Ramona, the novel by Helen Hunt Jackson. I found the original 1910 silent film produced by D.W. Griffith for American Biograph on YouTube.



I have to find a 1936 copy of Ramona so I can watch it in its entirety and then compare it to the novel. I already suspect that most of the racial conflict will have been omitted in favor of increasing drama/romance that Helen Hunt Jackson included only because she thought it would attract more readers: reel them in with the romantic story and inform them of the injustice that took place in Southern California, thus winning sympathy and rallying support for Native American land rights acts in Congress. Instead, tourism eventually became the enterprise... I still have to find the film, though. In one of the collections at work we have a ton of lobby cards from the 1936 production of Ramona which I can use to illustrate for the exhibit.

No comments:

Post a Comment