Sunday, October 17, 2010

Song I Gave to the Sparrow: poem illustrated

So I finally finished this one today.  I didn't get around to doing much else, though. At least I went to Red Cup and paid up on the kayak.  I had a delicious Frito pie with mixed greens added to it. Yum.  Talked about art for a while, and talked about ashes and memory, too.  But I finally finished this illustration. The camera doesn't capture the subtle pattern in the fabric used for the tree's leaves.  I used three old shirts for this (the tree leaves, the blue background, and black figure).  The tree trunk is felt, so I had to stitch that down instead of using fabric bond and an iron.  It would've melted.  The fabric used for the hills came from fabric scraps I bought at a store. The bird in a nest I had used in one of the Chakra collages. I dismantled them this summer. Oh, the music is from sheet music I found in an antique store and the wooden plaque is recycled from plaques that were once used but headed for the dumpster.
The poem, "Song I Gave to the Sparrow", can be found in the Oklahoma Writing Edition of Sugar Mule.

No comments:

Post a Comment