Saturday, July 23, 2011

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Black Feather Cafe lunch & journal
I woke to my alarm but I snoozed it for 30 minutes before finally waking up to Phoebe already in the shower. I moved my car so that she will be able to leave for work; Brian came back by with cinnamon rolls. We each had two -- a perfect breakfast -- and Phoebe left for work. I showered, dresses, prepared for my day in town. What to do? Anglin Falls? Pinnacles? Too hot and humid?

When I first arrived at Black Feather Cafe this morning I met Irene and her daughter Sophia outside, and another woman was there, Karin, and we hit it off fantastic right away. Irene asked me where I was staying, I mentioned Phoebe, and Karin perked up, "You're friends with Phoebe?!" And all the connections were made. Irene was working on her computer; Their home is infested with fleas somehow and was being fumigated. She's engaged to Tate. So when I mentioned I'd be trying to meet up with Clarence later that evening, Karin lit up and "invited herself along" (as she puts it) but really I welcomed her to go with us. I immediately adored her.  But then I started to worry that the time from 5-6 would be too short a visit, especially if part of that was consumed with driving to and from the house.  I was supposed to have dinner with Jack at 6pm at Main Street Cafe.  I promised Phoebe I'd take her to see Clarence's pottery after she gets off work at 5pm.  So I decide to call Jack back and reschedule the dinner for 7pm instead, afraid that I won't get to spend any time visiting with Clarence with Phoebe and Karin. So Jack called me back and said 7pm would be fine with him. Whew!

Lightning Tree, from one angle

Lightning Tree, from another angle
I took a break and drove around Berea for a while again, remembering particular places, events, people. I visited what I call The Lightning Tree and took several pictures of it. I have been told this is a Southern Red Oak tree.  I took a small piece of the interior bark that was revealed by the lightning strike scar.  I took it so that I could bring a little piece of that memory back with me to Oklahoma. This tree inspired a poem where I explore my relationship, memory, and death of my father.  I haven't shared the poem with anyone because it still needs so much work and some parts of it need a softer touch.  The ideas of the poem came to me when I was night-walking around town and I stopped by this tree, looked up at the sky, and saw the constellation for Gemini, my dad's zodiac sign. The tree grew in my mind as a symbol for him: Big, limbs wide and open, scarred, vulnerable though strong, overpowering though protective, and deeply rooted into the earth. 

The Lightning Tree

The Lightning Tree
I walked past Phoebe's workplace and she poked her head out to say, "Hi" and brought me inside for a minute. I snapped a picture of her at work bringing stuff into the kiln to be fired. We talked about the evening trip with Karin to meet Clarence for a chat. So then I got fudge at the Candy Kitchen and a few more pictures downtown.

Phoebe workin' that pottery

Lookin' down Old Town Berea
Five o'clock rolled around and I went to Black Feather, met Karin there and waited for Phoebe. Meantime, Jose was there helping a BC student concerning her car keys locked in her car. Locksmith was called but it had not yet arrived when Phoebe showed up. I walked with Jose about working in OKC and at NCWHM, Rodeo oral histories, etc. He asked about contemporary African American rodeo people being interviewed, but I'm not familiar with any who are being interviewed for the project I know.

So Karin, Phoebe, and I pile into my car and ride up to the homestead and it was a real treat to pull up to see him out there to meet us on the porch. He brought us around to the pottery and showed his turning wheels and other potter ideas, especially concepts for the kiln and the clay body he'd like to have. He showed part of the house and we sat in the kitchen -- like old times -- to talk about pottery, Berea, history, how he and Vicky met their first day at Berea, about the artist community they'd like to create and foster there. Even the history of "Bob-town". I got all teary-eyed. I left the artwork and books for Vicky on a rocking chair. I hope that she finds it a real treat. I miss her and love her.
Clarence

Clarence's Pottery, in progress

Pottery Wheel
Karin (this morning)
It was really hard to leave because I didn't want to go yet and Clarence was talking great stories and sharing the food that Vicky's mom Cleo had brought by while we were there. Cleo remembered me. So when we finally left I gave him another hug and we hopped in the car for the drive back to Berea proper and I got back in time to meet Jack for dinner. Just as I was getting in the car he calls and tells me that Main Street Cafe was closed and that maybe we should eat at Wan Pen. So I met him there and I ordered the Pad Thai with shrimp. Jack and I talked about Berea, the relationships and friendships that have split over time, and other things. Dinner finally over, I left him to find Phoebe; I had a feeling she was still at Karin's so there I found her, and Kaia, too, talking in the grassy backyard.  Karin told me about places in Santa Fe and Taos I should go to when I visit in September. Kaia told me about hostels and museums and shops and restaurants I shouldn't miss either in Albuquerque. Lightning bugs were out and I marveled that I had missed them.  Then we all had to go and it was time for Karin to do some computer work for the evening. Phoebe and I made it back to her house and talked a while about people and things I'd seen and heard that day. Then we kinda waited for Brian to come by the house; We knew he would soon. He finally came and Phoebe met him outside before he could come inside. I wrote for a while and when she came back in we talked a while longer before finally retiring for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment