Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Dionne Warwick

Last night I went to Lexington with some friends and while we were talking we'd notice that all the songs seemed familiar but we couldn't remember who sung them or the titles. But one reminded me of Dionne Warwick and I recalled memories of listening to one of her albums. Maybe it was one my mom had already owned, but most likely I wanted it because it had the song "That's What Friends Are For." I remember listening to the record, Friends, over and over again, especially this song. It was uplifting, hopeful, and heartwarming.
"Keep smilin', keep shinin' Knowin' you can always count on me, for sure; That's what friends are for. For good times and bad times I'll be on your side forever more; That's what friends are for."
I believe this was the song that told me, when I was a little girl, exactly what a friend should be, and anything less wasn't truly a friend. I listened to this song right about the time when young girls realize that some friends are wishy-washy, two-face, hot/cold. Some friends acknowledge your friendship in the face of the world, while others keep your relationship in the shadows. Some suddenly betray you. Some defend you. And you would do anything for those who stand by your side, those you can trust and depend upon. You'd take their call at 3 a.m., listen to their crying and worries, tell them you'll help in any way that you can. That they are loved. I heard this song briefly last night in my memories in the noise and chatter, then again last night before falling asleep. A reminder of friendship, what was most important and what was insignificant, jealousies to put aside, and happiness and hopefulness to encourage and witness. Friends to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment