Sunday, September 20, 2009

Quotes to remember

"We don't see things as they are; We see things as we are." ~ Anais Nin

“I am so thirsty for the marvelous that only the marvelous has power over me.” ~Anais Nin

"Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator, but among those whom I love, I can: all of them make me laugh." ~ W.H. Auden

"There's no life
that couldn't be immortal
if only for a moment."
~ Wislawa Szymborska

"I keep coming back to you in my head, but you couldn't know that, and I have no carbons." ~ Adrienne Rich

"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things."
~ Ray Bradbury

"Each has his past shut in him like the leaves of a book shown to him by heart, and his friends can only read the title." ~ Virginia Woolf

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life." ~ Virginia Woolf

"We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit." ~ e.e. cummings

"There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy and a tragedy." ~ Mark Twain

"The moment we choose to love we begin to move towards freedom."  ~ bell hooks

“We are ashamed of everything that is real about us; ashamed of ourselves, of our relatives, of our incomes, of our accents, of our opinions, of our experience, just as we are ashamed of our naked skins.” ~ Alexander Pope

“I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it. I want to live the width of it as well.” ~ Diane Ackerman

“I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.”
~ Augusten Burroughs

"Earth's crammed with heaven."   ~ Elizabeth Barret Browning

"I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship."
~ Louisa May Alcott

"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion."
~ Sir Francis Bacon

"We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love."
~ Tom Robbins

"truths in their wild state" ~ Gilles Deleuze

"The greatest gift you can give another is the purity of your attention."
~ Richard Moss

"delirium of solutions" ~ William Carlos Williams

"Love is life. All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love. Everything is, everything exists, only because I love." ~ Leo Tolstoy

"We are not the same person this year as last; nor are those we love. It is a happy chance if we, changing, continue to love a changed person."
~ W. Somerset Maugham

"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity."
~ Gilda Radner

“chords ran together like tears on a cheek”  ~ anonymous

"Love consists in this, that two solitudes protect and touch and greet each other."
~ Rainer Maria Rilke

“Perhaps everything terrible is in its deepest being something helpless that wants help from us." ~ Rainer Maria Rilke

“We are set down in life as in the element to which we best correspond, and over and above this we have through thousands of years of accommodation become so like this life, that when we hold still we are, through a happy mimicry, scarcely to be distinguished from all that surrounds us.” ~ Rainer Maria Rilke

"Do I dare
Disturb the universe"
~ T.S. Eliot

No comments:

Post a Comment