Friday, August 29, 2008

archive: 29 August 2008: Love

I want to love you but...

...the highway disappears into the sunset every night and I cannot find my way, so I turn back and follow my footsteps home in the dark until sunrise, and begin again.

...the trees in the horizon are black and confuse me when they sway under the wind I cannot feel here as I stand at the window waiting.

...when I look up at the stars, the constellations have moved and I believe that star on which I sent a wish up for you has vanished from the sky.

...these songs that lyrically remind me of you also remind me of conversations, long walks, button-down plaid shirts, black leather, and train whistles.

...Yeats and Eliot have spoken to you and sent you on escapades of experience.

...the hurricane within you have spiraled you to another place, while I am a volcano awaiting my peak to erupt, shake the earth, and force the landscape to die and be reborn.

...I already told you in words I could muster one evening, and it seemed to hang in the air like humidity in Mississippi Summer, until I rambled on I knew that you felt I was just a friend. A close friend, you said.

...my wings have been clipped by the world, left to flutter in a cage until this song has been sung to my keeper's contentment.

...I've loved you all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment