Saturday, March 13, 2010

spontaneous music

I ran around town a little bit last night after work. Edgar Cruz was playing at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum as part of their Concert at the Cowboy music series. I'd never heard him before. I wasn't disappointed. I had intended to stay for an hour, but I stayed two hours instead. Talented musician, and he had such great charisma with the audience. I've seen and heard a harp guitar before, but many people had not heard of it before and were all awed by his talent on that lovely instrument. He also played a C.F. Martin guitar, which I adore their sound. I tried taking a few pictures without my flash because I don't like paparazzi-ing musicians with my non-stop photography. Here's one of my favorites, plus a few more in my Flickr album.
Afterwards, I headed down to Coffy's Cafe in the Plaza District to hear my friend Justin Witte play for a little while.  Once I got down 16th, I heard some music that sounded very familiar and it wasn't coming from the coffee shop.  It was outside No Regrets Tattoo; A couple of guys on guitar and fiddle, Tom VandenAvond and Seabass were playing a Leonard Cohen song, and then soon after played "Wagon Wheel."  So I stuck around for a few songs and a few more pictures.
I finally made it over to Coffy's Cafe and got a little mocha, two peanut butter cookies, and a little Justin Witte music for the evening.  My camera began to not cooperate, so this is the only decent photo that I shot that I like, though I fooled around with it in a picture editor; Originally the flash tried to wash him out.  So hearing his song "Babylon" (listen to it on his MySpace music page) wrapped up my evening and I went home.  It is Saturday morning and I am going to drive out to one of the city's hiking trails and explore.  Pictures later.

No comments:

Post a Comment