Saturday, March 6, 2010

trunk bars


So I came across a post on ReadyMade where they converted a suitcase into a rolling bar.  I love it.  It is cute, reuses something that would either end up in the dump or in someone's attic, and it serves a purpose: fun!  So I posted my interest in making one of these on my facebook profile and promptly got a response from my mom that we have a steamer trunk in the barn.  Next time she visits me she'll try packing it in the car so I can have it and do this conversion.  Awesome news!  I like to drink a bit of wine and would love to have a specific place to store unopened bottles, glasses, corkscrews, and other items.  Plus, I keep a few bottles of bourbon and this would be the ideal place to store those as well.

I couldn't remember what the steamer trunk looked like.  Mom described it to refresh my memory: "The steamer trunk is meant to stand on end and opens up -- drawers on one side and the other side is where you hang clothes. People used these years ago when they would travel on ocean liners to Europe, etc. It served as a moveable wardrobe (closet)."  So we have one with drawers!  OH fun!  I can't wait for her to visit sometime in the summer or late spring!  Maybe I will convert it to look more like this one:


No comments:

Post a Comment