Monday, March 1, 2010

fabric flowers, birds, turtles...


Today I attended for the first time a group of crafty people who meet, socialize, and craft on their projects at the same time.  Some were crocheting, others weaving, some making papers flowers, others collaging.  I brought fabric and paper stencils to cut out birds, turtles, butterflies, bees, and flowers.  I plan to use the spray-starch method of application to the cabinet doors in my kitchen.  For nearly a year I have had this idea in my head and I am finally getting around to doing it.  This nature-in-fabric-on-the-walls idea all started when I decided to put a tree in my living room:

Since I rent, I didn't want to actually try painting a tree on the wall only to have to repaint the walls before leaving this house, if I choose to move any time soon.  By the way, I just put a brown slipcover on the loveseat.  It looks much better now.

I have seen adhesive vinyl decals of really neat designs online, but they all were out of my budget range.  Then I learned of a friend who couldn't paint the walls in her bathroom in her rental apartment, so she applied a light-weight cotton fabric to the walls with spray starch.  Voila!  Wallpaper without the hassle, and when you move out simply spray with water, peel off the fabric, clean the walls of the residue and you're done!  So I thought, I can do this instead of purchasing vinyl decals!

Looking for some tutorials on how to do this?  Try here.  Someone tried out a mod design on a door. Or check out ohdeedoh's How To: Make Fabric Wall Silhouettes.  Strange how I didn't see these pages back in December 2008 when I created the tree in my living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment