Saturday, February 12, 2011

27 January 2011: Closet Clean-out


27JAN2011, originally uploaded by blueathena7.
This is a huge pile of clothes. Yeah, not attractive. Not something very photogenic. But this is part of the purge. 90% of this doesn't fit me anymore and it is ridiculous to keep it while I wait to actually commit to doing something to lose weight. The other 10% is stuff that might still fit but I don't like anymore. This is not a depressing cry or action, just realistic and practical. Much of this is size misses small or medium, size 10 and 12. Often something that might would fit me new wouldn't fit me a few washes/months down the road because it shrank just enough to make that difference.

Anyway, these are going to a women's shelter resale store, Our Sister's Closet in Oklahoma City.

One of my inspirations is Project 333.  I've cleaned out the closet with a serious and determined attitude. I'm writing this entry on February 12, and since the 27th of January I have also started a big purge from my "art supplies." Yeah, the second bedroom dedicated as an "art room" with tons of fabric cut up from old clothes or from quilt stores. Boxes of wooden plaques I was going to recycle into art. More boxes of old frames.

I am a writer and a photographer. I like to dabble in making other things by hand, but I shouldn't allow myself to be so distracted and clutter my living space with so much "maybe I will do that" projects. Today I am finally going to do one I have thought about doing for over 2 years. It won't take me but 2-3 hours, if that much. And all this time those items have been waiting, waiting, waiting... I could have retained the idea, never bought or collected the items, and when I was absolutely determined and ready to make the crafty thing, get the items and make it then.

But that's also assuming the artistic and creative nature can be planned and known in advance. Some nights, truthfully, I get a wild hair and decide to make stuff right then.. 3, 4, 5 sleepless hours later and I've made my ideas tangible. But for now on, I really want my focus to be on my writing and photography. So, the hoarder-like collections of supplies will find new homes with other artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment