Sunday, April 15, 2007

archive: 15 april 2007: creepy place

Honestly, the downtown area of this town gives me the creeps. I was thinking of not going there again, but... I didn't get a good picture of the statue or of the courthouse.

I am in Dayton, Tennessee. If you're up on your history you'd know this was the town where the Scopes Trial took place. Still don't know what I am talking about? From July 10-21, 1925, a high school teacher, John Thomas Scopes, was tried for teaching about evolution in a classroom setting, which apparently violated a recent state law prohibiting it. Scopes had three lawyers defending him, one of which being Clarence Darrow. The prosecutor was William Jennings Bryan. Yeah. Bryan. And the college here is named Bryan College. So yeah, the campus kinda gets under my skin, too, but I gotta go back.

/begin soapbox
I don't believe we just popped out of no where onto this earth. It makes sense, to me, that we evolved from our closest animal cousin. Especially after hearing Kenneth Miller speak at Berea College in July about the chimpanzee and human genomes. THAT explanation right there was what set it in stone for me. It still doesn't say that there is or isn't a God/god, but it does say things make more sense. A loophole, in my opinion, has been filled. If there is a God, then God is grander that just making us humans just show up on earth. God planned the evolution of creatures on the earth from the very beginning of the earth's creation. The way animals, and subsequently humans, would evolve as they are today as the earth changed climates and environments over billions of years. And who's to say we're not evolving anymore? With all this advancement into technology, maybe we're supposed to move forward with that in some manner...
/exit soapbox

Anyway, as I was driving around downtown I saw this HUGE Republican Party building with red, white, and blue and elephants and etc etc. I drove on to park, walked down to the "Dayton Coffee Shop" but it was packed with elderly folks who just got out of church (lots of Baptist churches here) so I decided not to stick around with my long-in-the-front and SHORT-in-the-back haircut and jeans on Sunday (omg, a sin to wear jeans on SUNDAY!) and got back in my car. agh. This place gives me the creepies.

BUT, I have to say there is an excellent pizzeria here. Joe and Vinny's. I ordered a calzone and had my choice of four toppings to have it stuffed with: fresh mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, and pesto. OMG. Mouth watering! I am going back tomorrow!

I hope the weather is warmer tomorrow, but I doubt it. Drier, but still very windy. I drive to Athens, TN, tomorrow afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment