Monday, April 2, 2007

archive: 2 april 2007: a letter of update

Hello friends (those interested in knowing what's going on in my life... hehe!)

As some of you may not know, I am applying for a permanent Archivist position here in Berea. I haven't had an interview yet, and all I have heard back from them is that they received my application and materials. I don't know if they have started interviewing yet; I don't want to be a pest and ask. But I am waiting patiently to find out. I've got my fingers crossed.

I, along with two other scholars (am I a scholar? Nah, just someone interested in history), were presenters on a panel about the Council of the Southern Mountains at the Appalachian Studies Conference last weekend. Shannon was the convener for the panel. It went better than I expected and I don't know why I was so nervous. But I am glad it is over with and that it was a great experience. I guess I was just worried they would "judge" me for the job position, since some of them are on that job review committee.

I wanted to share with you that the Andrew Mellon Foundation did fund the project! In April I will begin traveling to 28 of the 36 Appalachian College Association (ACA) member colleges to look at the colleges' special collections and archives collections. I am creating a overall inventory of these collections for ACA, because future plans is to continue sending funding proposals for projects to preserve these collections (both processed and unprocessed) at ACA colleges.

I am excited about the traveling, although it will be tiring! I will be gone from Berea April 10th through April 27th, only to come home for a weekend before going back on the road April 29th through May 26th. Then I will be home for graduation (I have student friends graduating!) and a week of in-office work before hitting the road for another two weeks before completing the travel part of the project. Latter half of June and most of July I will work on compiling the information I gathered for a final report. Then I will be done!

Anyway, I'll wrap this up now. But one other thing, if it interests you: At Ground Effects coffee shop I will have 7 mixed media collages on display for the month of April. I am putting 6 of them up on Sunday and the 7th one will go up during the week. If you like coffee, tea, cheesecake, or pastries, be sure to stop by and take a look at the art next week. There will be three other artists' work on the walls too. My collages will have a theme of the 7 chakras.

All right! Have a wonderful day!
In peace and love,
Laura

Summary of Dates Laura will be in Berea:
March 29 – April 9: Berea
April 10 – 27: On the road
April 28 – 29: Berea
April 29 – May 26: On the road
May 27 – June 2: Berea
June 3 – 9: On the road
June 10 – July 31: Berea

Fun Links:
Pictures on Flickr!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blueathena7/sets/
I went to Washington, DC, for the Peace March. First time I ever did anything like that. It was fun and I met two women I already knew (online only) and they were great fun.

Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=blueathena
Videos: (1) the making of the chakra collages, (2) videos from the Washington, DC, March, (3) And other random and fun stuff.

Blog!
http://www.poetess77.com/blog/blog.html
And, of course, don't forget my blog where you can find much of the above stuff linked (if I remember to post it there!)

Laura Anne Heller
http://www.poetess77.com
http://www.lauraheller.com
lauraheller@poetess77.com

Where and when....

4/10: Lindsey Wilson College, Columbia, KY
4/11: U of Cumberlands, Williamsburg, KY
4/12: Maryville College, Maryville/Knoxville, TN
4/13: Hiwassee College, Madisonville, TN
4/16: Bryan College, Dayton, TN
4/17: TN Wesleyan College, Athens, TN
4/18-19: U of the South, Sewanee, TN
4/20: Carson-Newman College, Jefferson City, TN
4/23-25: Tusculum College, Greeneville, TN
4/26-27: Mars Hill College, Mars Hill, NC
Break in Berea: 4/28 – 4/29
4/30: Union College, Barbourville, KY
5/1-3: Lincoln-Memorial University, Harrogate, TN
5/4: Milligan, Milligan, TN
5/7: Brevard College, Brevard, NC
5/8: Warren-Wilson College, Asheville, NC
5/9: Lenoir-Rhyne College, Hickory, NC
5/10: Lees-McRae College, Banner Elk, NC
5/11: King College, Bristol, TN
5/14: VA Intermont College, Bristol, VA
5/15: Emory & Henry College, Emory, VA
5/16-18: Ferrum College, Ferrum, VA
5/21: Alice Lloyd College, Pippa Passes, KY
5/22: U of Charleston, Charleston, WV
5/23-25: Bethany College, Bethany, WV
Break in Berea: 5/26 – 6/3
6/4: WV Wesleyan College, Buckhannon, WV
6/5-7: Davis & Elkins College, Elkins, WV
6/8: Pikeville College, Pikeville, KY
6/11-13: Berea College, Berea, KY
Then work on compiling the data all of June and July in Berea.
Finish archiving the ACA Archives and writing a records retention plan in June and July also.
I don't know what happens in August....

-------------------

In other news... I am stumped.

No comments:

Post a Comment