Sunday, January 20, 2008

archive: 20 january 2008: mary full of grace

So Saturday I got back my poetry collection from Michael with some commentary and suggestions for change. We sat for a few hours in Ground Effects that early afternoon going over each poem and some of his recommendations and what he liked from each of them. As a poet, I respect his opinion because I have read his work and I know how much to thoroughly studies poetic concepts, language, diction, and the minute symbols used to portray meaning in a poem... You could say I am in awe at times at his understanding of poetry and writing. As much as I am in awe of musicians who so easily learn a song after hearing it only a couple of times... The mystery of it...

Anyway, so I just got through rewriting the first poem in the series, Mary, and included parts of "Hail Mary, full of grace..." into it. Dropped a few lines here and there and found some shifts in tense that I sometimes overlook when writing. He caught that and more. Ah, I like it better now. I wonder what my other critique readers will suggest on these. Well, at least I am keeping copied of my drafts. Onward to the next poem.

No one ever said writing poetry was easy. But I like the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment