Sunday, January 20, 2013

Equal Love

I knew when I posted the POTUS quote that I might get responses or questions I would feel unease answering, but though I could feel my nerves and blood ache with someone not understanding the simplicity of the statement, or seemingly begging for an argument, I think I handled it well.

"... for if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well." - POTUS, January 21, 2013

Asked: Equal to what?

My Response: If we are all equal as human beings, then real love between two persons is equal to that of any other two persons who love each other.

Asked: And just how do you measure this?

My Response: How does one measure love?

Asked: I always think that in love between 2 people the love is never, ever equal. We all love for different reasons.

My Response: Yes, I suppose there are different, complicated loves. The abused child still feels love for the parent who abuses him simply because a child is supposed to love his parent. A wife loves her husband, and vice versa, and the ways that love is expressed may vary, but the degree of love may be the same, or one spouse may feel they love their spouse more than the other feels. But moreso, this statement is addressing that one couple's love is equal to that of any other couple's love, worthy of respect, whether a straight couple, gay or lesbian couple, biracial couple, inter-faith couple, or any other adult pairings of persons who understand the depth of love for each other. I know not all persons would agree with my stance on this, and that's fine, of course, but I still believe the world needs more love and understanding than judgement and criticism.

No comments:

Post a Comment