Monday, January 21, 2013

More thoughts on POTUS quote, human condition, be a bird...

Finally got another response to my POTUS quote from the same person… frogs?

Well, I answered with humor.

But it saddens me that this world, or the world I grew up in, is so filled with judgement and criticism of others’ lives instead of respect and love.

Love for fellow humans.  Desire for all humans to have happy lives.  Food and water, good health and love.  These, I think, are the simplest of needs I think all humans should have.

I use the word humans so that we continue to recognize we are all faced with the human condition, the inescapable factors of being human, factors that are not hinged on race, gender, faith, or class; “concerns such as the meaning of life, the search for gratification, the sense of curiosity, the inevitability of isolation, or anxiety regarding the inescapability of death.”

Movies dealing with race and slavery always seem to reverberate a sense that some humans decided that other humans were not human, but instead things that were inferior.  Again, this saddens me because this was so very untrue.  The Africans were human and thus painfully dealt with the human condition, as did their slave-holders.

This thread of compassion within me for fellow human suffering draws me to films, stories, and songs that deal with other humans discovering solutions for each conflict they face when seeking out the betterment of their human condition.  I love happy endings, but I know, unfortunately, so often some of the endings are more bittersweet and still insufferable.  One step forward, two steps back, sometimes.

Can’t we have a “Mary Poppins” moment, snap our fingers collectively, and all people love, respect, and acknowledge each others’ differences without judgement and criticism and racism and classism and sexism and hatred?

Can I be a bird on the wind?

No comments:

Post a Comment