Monday, January 23, 2006

archive: 23 january 2006: music biography

I am creating a music biography.
I am working with each year, from birth to present. I am using a website which lists the top 30 songs for each year to help me get started. I am going to use amazon.com to preview listening to songs to figure out if I have ever heard some of these songs. I love the 70s... I have copied the ones for 1976 through 1979. Queen was all over those charts those years, and Bee Gees, too. Simon and Garfunkel too. Yes! :)

Then I will go back for some and connect some movies to certain years. I know I probably heard My Sharona and liked it when I watched the movie "Beaches." I liked Bette Milder at that time too, and then again when I was a freshman in college and dating Mark (he liked her music too). I know some stuff I won't recall. I know some things I won't know where to put them. I remember so clearly listening to Tool's song "Sweat" in 9th grade, but the dates don't match. What's up with that? And there's several years where the music everyone else was listening to I didn't get into until a few years later 'cause at the time I was listening to cassettes or CDs instead of the radio. Its complicated, but for the most part, much of 11th and 12th grade I ignored the radio. Kurt Cobain? I didn't know he killed himself until months later, when I caught up with everyone else my age and listening to Nirvana after the fact. At the time I had been playing The Doors and Morrissey nonstop. hehe... yes, interesting combination, I know.

ok... back to the compiling. Oh, what triggered my work on this tonight? A Big Hair Metal Music compilation commerical... Mr. Big, Warrant, Trixter, Guns n Roses, Great White, Skid Row, Saigon Kick, Ratt, White Lion, Bret Michaels, Scorpions... yeah. I want a soundtrack to my life, a REAL one. :)

This is going to take some time, imagination, memories, thought, and work.

No comments:

Post a Comment