Saturday, December 17, 2005

archive: 17 december 2005 Cars and Money and an anti-Anniversary

So....
Car shopping today. Went to Carmax. Drove the Pontiac Vibe. It is a cute car. Very nice on the inside, drives smoothly, felt very nice. I wish I could have spent time with it alone, cause I get too conscious of other people, ie, the car dealer, talking and looking and stuff. I needed to focus, but I guess I got it in anyway. Three hours later I am comparing my drive in my car to the Vibe's: I recall the Vibe's view out the rear window being tight, small. I like the large view I have out my rear window. I feel better about being able to see more. (I know that says a lot about my character too). The same with the back passenger window behind the driver. That window is smaller, so when I look over my left shoulder to make sure no one is in that lane, its not so good a view. I do not depend on side view mirrors; I learned that lesson.

Unfortunately I have bad credit. I could not get a bank auto loan because of that. So the only other way to pay for the car is to pay cash (I don't have that much) or to finance it through the dealership.

I had two finance options.
1. Americredit:
Amount Financed: $16,484.94 with a downpayment of $700 (that's the $500 they would give me for my car and the $200 I think I could realistically give them today if I were to get it today). First payment due on 1/28/06. For 60 months (5 years) an interest rate of 20.50% (because of my bad credit history) and monthly payments being $444.36.
This option I would be able to sign for it myself and not have to have a co-signer.

2. Wells Fargo:
Amount Financed: $14,265 with a required downpayment of $2,919.94 and requires me to have a co-signer, preferably someone with good credit. First payment due 1/25/06. For 60 months (5 years) an interest rate of 13.49% and monthly payments being $291.04. I would have to make that large downpayment and have a co-signer in order to have this lower interest rate.

Unfortunately they appraised my Mazda Protege at $500. That's because its a 1996, has been very worn, and they probably recognized that it needs axel work. Kelly Blue Book says that my car in Fair condition should trade-in at $950, so... not sure what to make of that difference, other than I think $500 is an awfully tiny amount for a pretty good car. She's old and tired, but still pretty reliable. And those two financing choices include that $500 trade-in. bah.

So... I don't think I am going to get a newer car right now. In fact, I think I am going to wait until June or July. I am going to get an estimate from DNC on how much it would cost to get those axels fixed. I won't be able to get them fixed before I go home this Wednesday, but I can go ahead and let him know I intend to have that worked on after January 2nd. It'd probably run between $900-1200. And people have told me that DNC will work out a payment plan, so that would be better. That's really the only problem with the car right now, and that can make it last me till June or July 2006. Probably privately sell my car for whatever it costs me to fix the axels or $950, whichever. Then use that plus a little more for a downpayment and in this time between now and June to build my credit better. Hopefully.

ALSO... Monday or Tuesday I am supposed to talk with my supervisor Steve about the project's progress. I am going to write some stuff up tomorrow about that. I am also going to ask if he thinks there's any possibility of me being hired on permanently. Either way, I need to know so I can make plans (ie, car stuff, savings). If I can stay, then I know for sure I will have a reliable income to make payments on a new car. If I am not going to be rehired, then I best not risk getting a new car this summer but save money for moving costs to where-ever I end up getting hired. I can hear Mom saying right now, "Yes, you do have the right to inquire about this possibility so that you can plan accordingly."

Wow. Plus... All this is spurred on because of a few horoscope statements too. Horoscope statements in italics with my interpretation afterwards.
www.freewillastrology.com (Dec. 15-21)
A while back you heard a commotion coming from behind the door of opportunity.
Ok. Maybe 8-10 months ago randomly Harry said something along the lines of its possible that I could be offered a permanent position, depending on circumstances and whatnot. It was mostly off-cuff chatter hypothetical talk. But still... Ed and Pat both were hired temporarily then were hired on permanently.
Now you may even be on the verge of giving up. But here's my advice to you: Start knocking on that door and don't stop until it opens. Keep knocking patiently and politely for an hour, for a day, for three weeks or six months--for as long as it takes. I don't know if the answer you'll receive when the door opens will be exactly the one you want, but it will provide you with the precise information you need to decide what to do next. And you'll never get that insight if you walk away now.
YEAH.... It is telling me to ask Steve about this, the only person who I can actually ask this of and the correct person for me to inform of my interests in possibly staying. As it says, I may or may not get the answer I want but I will get told the info I need to plan.

I also visit a Chinese horoscope thing, and its usually pretty spot-on.
http://www.horoscope.co.uk/dragon.htm (December, Dragon)
This is also a time area in which to watch out for dodgy deals, false smiles, hollow promises and slick but dishonest advertising.
This was referring the the mid-month time, and considering my opinions on the car offers, I don't like them and think they're dodgy. The Kelly Blue Book says that a 2003 Vibe at retail value in excellent condition should be sold for $11,650. Not sure why there is a difference, but... yeah. Plus, while dealer was gone to get some printouts, I got my book out, and I was starting to put it up when he came back and he saw it and said, "put that away, you won't need that here." I didn't especially like that attitude. hrm. I mentioned quickly that there was a price difference and wanted to know why but he went onward with figuring out the finance charges. So... dodgy.

I am going to mention all this stuff with my sister though, all the things about the car and financing, etc. See what she thinks about it.

Ok. Enough of that now. I am going to go watch Empire Records and eat ice cream.

OH. I remembered on the way home that today marks the One Year Anniversary of the day I met Becky. I almost went to Mia's for a drink. I fantasized the idea that she might would be there and we'd actually talk. But I decided that I didn't need to spend any money there. I am going to Mia's on Monday with friends for karaoke and that is a better memory to possess than going alone to Mia's tonight to remember the night we first met. Tomorrow night will be the day we first kissed. I actually can't remember the actual date we first.... heh. But that is sometime in late January or early February.

No comments:

Post a Comment