Saturday, July 14, 2007

archive: 14 july 2007: pleiades, muses, art, dad

I have been reading about the Pleiades today and last night too before going to Richmond. There's so many stories related to the little cluster of stars. All over the world, but all of the ones I have read so far have them being 6 or 7 sisters, young maidens. They're strong, independent, and they're creators. Sometimes they are being chased by a man (often the hunter Orion) and in one Australian myth he captured one of the sisters on Earth and the other six sisters came back to Earth, fought him, and brought their sister back in the sky with them.

Anyway, so I wanted to post the link for the radio series of interviews I came across. Here it is:
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/relig/spirit/stories/s1213298.htm

I am doing research about the Pleiades because I have this idea of creating some collages on bottles I have. I don't drink mixed drinks anymore, and may get rid of the liquor, rum, tequila, and I might have some vodka... I'm going to get rid of it and use the glass bottles for this project because they vary in size much the way the stars vary in brightness and luminosity. I want certain things to be represented about them physically. So far I only have stories of the sisters as a group from around the world, but the only stories I have of each sister is from the Greek and Roman mythologies. I wonder if in any other mythologies the stories individualized them at all or if they were always thought of as a group. I love the idea of them as a group, but I do find comfort in knowing that each one's individual qualities was appreciated and needed. Maybe that's just me.

I am also going to do some in-depth research of the Nine Muses for a similar series but with wine bottles. I have one brown and three green bottles so far. More wine! :) I probably should get a Blue Nun wine so I can have a blue bottle in the mix, but maybe there's a wine I like in a blue bottle. I will have to look into it sometime.

I once wrote a very long poem about the nine Muses in [thinks] 1986 or 1987... I was very interested in astronomy at that time, too, so the mythology and the astronomy was very connected to me. And this is where one of the few good memories of my dad is: I come in from the backyard babbling about star constellations and finding them in the sky and Dad decides he wants me to show them to him. With his bad eyes I couldn't really help him to see Cassiopeia or Alexandria or the big and little dipper well; You gotta understand how to connect the dots with some imagination. I think I tried showing him Taurus, which I felt was important because that's what Mom's sign is, and I showed him Gemini because that's what he is, but he couldn't really see them. But he saw Orion, and it was Orion's belt that helped. I told him that Orion was standing there in a stance, with arms raised, and he finally was able to see the stars for his hands and feet. So it felt good, finally, that he could see something in the sky that I appreciated.

Ok. Back to research. Or maybe I will take a break, glue these two stones to the collage at the library because they fell off, then go to BC&T for a change of scenery and research. Tonight I am going to a cookout at Alice's place with a lot of coworkers and her family. I probably won't stay out there long. I'm beginning to get into a creative working mood again. This is a good feeling.

I also have this urge to go for a long walk on the cross country trails... so I might go do that. I haven't done that since last summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment