Wednesday, July 18, 2007

archive: 18 july 2007: oh well

So it didn't work out for me to go to Sewanee with them. They're not going afterall. There was some kind of falling out between them and so no one is going, or Mr. Blake is going it alone. Oh well. I am not that bummed out because if Michael had never mentioned it I would not have ever thought of going, so no biggie.

But I asked off from work today and since the trip got cancelled I am still taking the day off from work and I am going to go to Lexington's library and Common Grounds to research and write. Gotta be back in Berea by 5:30 for writing group, but today shall be good.

I am came into Ground Effects and pretty much immediately received a compliment from a friend, so... I feel nice. It seems like ages someone's turned to me and said "you look pretty today." I was kinda taken aback.

Well, I better get on the road. If this day is going to be productive at all, I need to get there and get on those microfilm reels. haha! Researching obits from 1906?!

EDIT (3:15 pm): So I research 1907 and 1923 "Colored Notes" of the Lexington Leader. Got quite a little bit of stuff to write poems about. Its interesting looking at papers that old, reading the way things are phrased and described. I am going to try to incorporate some of that into the poems. I am not sure, though... sensitivity and everything, using words like "colored" and "darkey" and "negro." I think if I am writing the poem from an omniscient point-of-view then it will probably be more my voice and so I wouldn't use those words. But if I am writing from a first person point-of-view then those words will be used. The poem would be read as if that person from 1907 is speaking which means they would call themselves darkies or negroes. I don't know... I'm careful and sensitive about things like that... I don't want anyone to interpret the use of those words as something I normally use now.

Anyway, I should go. I think I want to see if the Old Episcopal burying ground's gate is unlocked and maybe look around for a short bit. But maybe I will come on home after stopping at Common Grounds and reading for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment