Monday, July 30, 2007

archive: 30 july 2007: gonna be a banjo'r

When someone says you're great, believe them. If you set out to correct why you think they're wrong, you're not being modest -- you're telling them you don't trust their judgment! So accept this compliment gracefully.

Ha! I do this all the time. Hmm...

By the way, for those interested in keeping tabs about me and my hopes in learning to play an instrument: While talking with Mom on the phone Saturday she asked me if I had made any progress in finding out info for banjo lessons or bought one yet. I said I haven't bought one yet but know of some places to buy at and have lessons. She said that since my birthday is coming up soon that would make a good birthday present. I was like, Oh! That'd be great! So she told me to let her know how much and she'll see what she can do. So sometime over this week I am going to look into an instrument and style.

Clawhammer appeals to me, but before I settle on a style I know I am going to have to be shown how to do it to know whether or not it feels comfortable to me. I love this song "Sugar Baby" and it is the one which gave me an "epiphany" that I was going to learn how to play THAT song if not anything else. I was listening to the version by Cordelia's Dad. From the liner notes: "Sugar Baby is played on a banjo made by Mr. Ellis Wolfe of Butler, Tennessee. His house and small farm lie just a few miles from the North Carolina border, within walking distance of Beech Mountain. He learned to make banjos and dulcimers there from "Old Man Stanley" Hicks and, in our opinion, made considerable improvements on Hicks' already fine designs."

Anyway, I better get back to typing these lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment