Thursday, July 5, 2007

archive: 5 july 2007: fireworks, wedding, pasta recipe

Went to a send-off / fourth of july party last night at Aaron and Muffy's place. It turned out to be pretty fun, a bunch of little kids running around, meeting and talking with people, eating lots of food people brought. I made up a pasta salad that turned out pretty good. I didn't make it early enough so that it could have marinaded, but that's something to remember next time. I'll list the stuff I used below.

Oh, and Aaron and Muffy had a surprise wedding. Yes, a surprise wedding. They didn't tell anyone they were planning on getting married except the jeweler who made their silver bands and the man who was marrying them. :) I came in late with a friend and missed the wedding altogether. Aaron and Muffy were totally chillin' with their new status. :)

Fireworks were pretty good and from the porch you could see the Lake Reba ones at the same time. I recorded a bit of the show and will probably work on creating a little video for it. It will have Led Zeppelin and Bob Dylan as the soundtrack since that's what was playing while we were watching the show. Plus I took a ton of pictures of Aaron, Muffy, and other party folks.

So here's that "recipe" because... I made it up while in the kitchen.
Vegetable Seminola Spiral Pasta, 1 pkg. (from Happy Meadows)
Russian Tomatoes, 2 (Farmers' Market)
Regular red tomato, 1 (Farmers' Market)
Acorn squash, 2 (Farmers' Market)
Zuchinni, 1 (Farmers' Market)
French Sorrell Greens, handful (Farmers' Market - Susana's Organics)
Sun-dried Tomato and Garlic Vinaigrette, 1 bottle (Happy Meadows)
Roasted Red Pepper Vinaigrette, a few squirts (Happy Meadows)
Basil Pesto, a few spoonfuls (??)
Creamy Caeser dressing, a few squirts (??)
Parmesan cheese, 1 cup (generic - next time will use freshly grated kind)
Lime Juice, a few squirts (??)

So I cooked the pasta, drained it, and set it aside. I chopped the Russian tomatoes, squash, and zuchinni and put it in a skillet and sauteed it with the Sun-dried tomato and garlic vinaigrette. Then I started adding all those other things to it (except the lime juice) while it cooked down. I tore the greens from the skinny stalks, which now I have decided was more work than needed, put I dropped the little bits of that into the cooking mixture. When I could tell the squash and zuchinni was soft, I pulled it off the heat, put it in a dish and let it cool in the fridge for a little bit. Then I added it to the pasta, stirred it up good, added the parmesan and lime juice and the diced red tomato. Then I let it cool some more mixed together in the fridge. Probably should have let it sit longer than an hour in the fridge to marinate, but I'll try that next time. And I am sure it is still just as good hot as cold. Since it was so humid and hot this week, I felt a cold pasta dish would be better than a hot one. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment