Saturday, July 7, 2007

archive: 7 july 2007: music videos

I have debated about it for some time, but I think I will finally give it and upload them also to YouTube. I have started a series of videos called "Music Memories." Really they are just my blog entries from my personal website blog (http://www.poetess77.com) which is about music and memories associated with specific songs. I know many people talk about "such-n-such song was playing when such-n-such happened" and all that jazz, but it seems like the collection of memories and songs tied to them really pile up. Imagine manuscripts of memories getting a new one added to it every week, ever since you were 5 or even younger. That's my relationship with music, my life's relationship. And yet I don't know how to play an interest, and I don't particularly have a singing voice.

But I have decided that once I am able to afford a decent enough one, I will learn to play the banjo. Deborah T. mentioned something maybe "renting" one from a music shop to see if I like the feel of it, so I might find out if and where I can "rent one" and test the waters. But yeah... I have fidgeted around with a guitar but it doesn't feel right for me... It feels so big and awkward. I know I am particular about things. So a banjo might be right. This all started when I was driving back to Berea from West Virginia and I was listening to the Cordelia's Dad album "Comet." One of the songs on there is a completely instrumental song played on the bajo alone. It is beautiful and crooked and wonderful. I want to know that song.

Anyway, music memories... I am uploading two videos to YouTube right now. One is about Janis Joplin and the other is about Ani DiFranco. I have several others now and will also upload them soon, but probably on Sunday or later in the week. U2, Joan Armatrading, Gillian Welch, Morrissey are onces up on the other video site, and they'll be on YouTube soon enough. I also have ones planned for George Michael, Olivia Newton John, Lucinda Williams, Dionne Warwick, and 4 Non Blondes. Some are good memories, some not so good. Just snippets of time. I keep remembering more I should do... It would be nice if I ended up with a book of song memories. It is an idea I have had for some time.

But I also need to do a video of the fireworks from Wednesday and put that to Led Zeppelin and Bob Dylan (music that was playing while we all were sitting on the porch of Muffy and Aaron's house and watching the fireworks from there).

Much is on my mind lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment