Tuesday, July 31, 2007

archive: 31 july 2007: women in world religions

I've been thinking some more on this topic. It was my first idea to use as collages on wine bottles, but then I decided that I wanted something with easier limitations: the Pleiades and the Nine Muses. I have researched those two groups of mythical women and how they are represented in various cultures. Most of the sisters in the Pleiades have a Greek or Roman equivalent, so that will draw out each one's individuality expressed in the design on the collage, but then many cultures see them as sisters or women doing all the same thing (ie, early Mexican culture said they stars were women giving birth). I thought that since the stars vary in brightness I might use the liquor bottles I have left: I don't know what I will do with the liquor; some of it I am not interested in drinking a lot of (tequila) and some of it I have never tried (the Grand Mariner). Not sure....

I know I want to use wine bottle for the Nine Muses, varying colors and widths.

So... the "Strong Women in World Religions..." I have started a little research on that tonight, starting with Christianity since I know a little of that. I feel like I will need to collect a massive amount of information before working on these. So much information that it might validate a seminar or course for a period of time to offer to others? This is the idea I suddenly started having: discussions around the female individuals of world religions. The movers and shakers who are often overlooked in traditional texts. I copied and pasted into a text document (with source citation and links, of course!) an article I found that focuses on Mary Magdalene and others in the Bible and how early "church meetings" during Roman times had to be held in homes, where women were going to play a big role in the goings on of the service, etc.

I started to look into Islam briefly but I am going to have to look into HISTORY and not the Qur'an because it seems to refer only to the rules of lifestyle, etc.

Anyway, so... I kinda have this idea of a course that reads and discusses women in world religions. Hrm... I don't know, too vague and some Ph.D in women's studies might would already have some ideas if not a course already being taught somewhere. But I was thinking of something sort of similar to Kyrai's Workshops or whatnot. I gotta think some more. But I don't know how much I would be able to do... *think think*

I gotta go. BC&T closing soon and my battery is getting low. Going to go home and watch "Pick of Destiny." hehe!

No comments:

Post a Comment