Friday, September 2, 2005

archive: 2 september 2005: Hurricane Katrina

This is just too fucking much.

Practically all day Wednesday and Thursday I have been distracted. At work I sort through these boxes, and I find myself nearly every 5 or 10 minutes stepping over to the laptop to check my email, check myspace, to check livejournal... all to see if someone says "I am ok!" or for some of my friends in Jackson or Hattiesburg to report that the power is back on, that so-n-so's family on the coast is safe, that they are safe....

or worse, to hear that a friend's childhood house is blown over, and it wasn't in New Orleans, no, it was in Bay St. Louis. He's got nothing but the clothes and stuff he brought with him to college.

I FINALLY heard from one friend who lives in New Orleans. She hadn't posted to livejournal for a while. No one knew if she'd left N.O. or if she was somewhere stuck in the Superdome or elsewhere. I mean, she's stubborn and probably would have stuck around, but her folks probably dragged her out of NOLA. BUT, I still haven't heard from Christie and Jeremiah. Alicia (aka stubborn girl) has been calling Christie's cell phone endlessly, no avail, no answer.... She's freaking out, 'cause that's her bestest best best friend ever. I understand... I mean... there's no telling where those two are, in NOLA or out?

I still haven't been able to get through to my Mom's cell phone to talk with her and check on how she's doing. She's just in Jackson, MS, but last I heard from my sister, that the power was out in Gluckstadt (more specific, Yandell Rd. and Cedar Grove Lane) and my Mom has 12 people and 5 indoor dogs from Slidell staying at the house (believe me, some of those people are sleeping on the floor; we don't have that much room!). These are family friends who didn't have family anywhere else.... their parents have died within the last year and a half. This whole thing is a total bitch....

I was thinking about Alicia, Christie, Jeremiah all day yesterday... I finally know Alicia's allright. Now I add to it, because my friend Sherri still hasn't heard from her long-time best friend Amanda (who is married and have three youngsters now). So I have been posting on various boards online for these missing persons.

I haven't heard from my friend Jeremy and his wife and son in Mobile. I haven't heard any news coverage on Mobile... I assume its ok. I guess I should find info.

I am tempted to spend some time looking for links to post here to inform those who are not following the news AT ALL and just about don't have any clue as to what's going on or how horrific it is, but... holy shit, its 2:15 a.m. and I have been pretty much going nonstop tonight reading stuff, looking at aerial maps...
fuck... I am tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment