Tuesday, September 4, 2007

archive: 4 september 2007: readings and class work

So I got most of my first assignment for my class done. Yes, I said "most." I procrastinated. I really should have started reading and making notes last Wednesday and Thursday, played around over the weekend and worked more on it yesterday. So much reading! And many of the articles were very dry and dull. I liked the last three I had to read because they dealt with archives and access in particular while the earlier articles dealt with information retrieval, indexing, database studies, research keywords and whatnot, etc. blah! The assignment was to read ten articles plus listen to one .mp3 file. Then to make notes on each article in a particular format the professors prefers. I got nine of the ten articles mostly read but commented on them all after skimming through some of them sporadically, and several of them I skimmed thoroughly. I have not had access to the .mp3 file though. It may be possible to get it from my one classmate tonight. Oh well. The tenth article I didn't complete because (1) I ran out of time and (2) the file was corrupt and I didn't discover this until late last night. So... maybe I better get on task for the next assignment. :)

I am leaving for Lexington right before 4 p.m. so that I can get up there in time. An hour should be enough time, surely, but maybe I should leave at 3:30 p.m.? I am not yet sure. Class start at 5 p.m.

Here's a list of what I read (or was supposed to read):

1. Croft, Bruce, "What do people want from information retrieval?" D-Lib Magazine, Nov., 1995. http://www.dlib.org/dlib/november95/11croft.html

2. Bates, Marcia J., Deborah N. Wilde, and Susan Siegfried, "An analysis of search terminology used by humanities scholars: the Getty Online Searching Project report number 1." Library Quarterly, 63:1 (January 1993) pp. 1-39.

3. Siegfried, Susan, Marcia J. Bates, and Deborah N. Wilde, "A profile of end-user searching behavior by humanities scholars: the Getty Online Search Project report No. 2." JASIS 44(5):273-291, 1993.

4. Bates, Marcia J., "The design of browsing and berrypicking techniques for the online search interface." Online Review, 3:5 (1989), pp. 407-424.

5. Bates, Marcia J. "Indexing and access for digital libraries and the internet: human, database, and domain factors." JASIS, 46:13 (1998), pp. 1185-1205.

6. Duff, Wendy M. and Catherine A. Johnson, "Accidentally found on purpose: information-seeking behavior of historians in archives." Library Quarterly, 72:4 (April, 2002), pp. 472-496.

7. Czeck, Rita L. H., "Archival MARC records and finding aids in the context of end-user subject access to archival collections." American Archivist, 61 (Fall, 1998), 426-440.

8. Prom, Christopher J., "User interactions with electronic finding aids in a controlled setting." American Archivist, 67 (Fall/Winter, 2004) pp. 234-268.

9. Johnson, Catherine A. and Wendy M. Duff, "Chatting Up the Archivist: Social Capital and the Archival Researcher" American Archivist, 68 (Spring/Summer, 2005) 113-129.

10. Hedstrom, Margaret, et al " 'The older version flickers more': digital preservation from the user's perspective." American Archivist, 69 (Spring/Summer, 2006) 159-187.

11. Merrilee Proffitt – SAA 2006 Session 604: "Finding Aids: the Next Generation"

No comments:

Post a Comment