Wednesday, August 31, 2005

archive: 31 august 2005: spontaneous lunch recipe

I totally made something up for lunch today. I looked at some recipes, but none were fast enough for my short lunch hour, plus I didn't have some of the things the recipes called for.

So I got a non-stick skillet out, poured a little extra virgin olive oil in it, placed sliced eggplant rounds I had just cut, and turned it on high. I flipped the eggplant every so often so that it cooked through on both sides. While this was cooking I opened a can of diced tomatoes and a can of sliced mushrooms and dumped them into a saucepan and turned that on high. I added a couple of dashes of basil, oregano, and "Italian seasoning" and let that cook for a few minutes on high with a lid until it was boiling. I spooned some of the boiling tomato juice on top of the cooking eggplant, and let it sizzle, on both sides, for just a little bit. Then I took them all off the heat, turned off the stove, placed four of the eggplant rounds on a plate, spooned some of the tomato and mushroom mix on top, and topped it with parmesan cheese.

It was pretty good for a spur-of-the-moment made-up dish for lunch.

Probably would be better with fresh diced tomatoes and fresh sliced mushrooms rather than what I had out of a can. Plus, the eggplant probably would have been even better if it were breaded, but I don't have that.

I also, for spontaneous effect and it tasted pretty neat, I also topped the plate of eggplant, tomato, and mushroom with about two tablespoons of creamy ceaser dressing.

Pretty interesting lunch, I must say. Probably very healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment