Saturday, February 11, 2006

archive: 11 february 2006: authors and road trips

I went to this brunch put on by AAUW (American Association of University Women) at Boone Tavern this morning. It was great. First Tammy Horn spoke about the book she just published and the future one she is working on about women beekeepers. She read some letters and the story of a woman who once worked in a factory but who ended up becoming editor of a magazine for beekeeping.
Then George Ella Lyon read some of her poems, and she read one which I loved and will have to do something similar, using a letter a grandmother wrote as a "found poem."
Then Frank X. Walker spoke and read several of his poems from Black Box, Buffalo Dance, and Affrilachia.
I bought a book from George Ella Lyon for my nephew, a children's book about a woman zoo keeper, and had it signed for him for his 5th birthday. :) I also bought Frank X. Walker's newest book and had him sign it, talked to him a little bit about writing poetry. I told him I am trying to write some poems about my grandmother since she has passed away and I spent so much time writing about my dad but none about her yet, and that I used his technique he referred to in class when he spoke with us. He also suggested finding a photo or two of her, candids. I sometimes never think of the obvious. heh. But the thing is, she hated having her picture taken and with good reason... As old and tired as she looked, she looked 10 year older in the pictures. Seriously. Oh well.. I will work on it.

I am going outside for about 20 minutes and take some pictures, then when I come in, get ready in about 20 minutes to head up to Lexington and meet Jo and the gang by 4... I should be there around 3:30-ish if I leave by 2:30 and don't have to stop for gas.

allright... later folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment