Wednesday, August 1, 2007

archive: 1 august 2007: rational and transcendent

I know... what's Laura doing on here again tonight? Restless. Finished watching Pick of Destiny (hilarious) and thought I would look up what the results of today's vote was if it is anywhere on the 'net. I also wanted to see my FreeWillAstrology horoscope.
http://www.freewillastrology.com/horoscopes/allsigns.html

VIRGO
The modern war between science and spirituality seems laughable in light of the life of Sir Isaac Newton. His discoveries in the realms of physics, mathematics, and astronomy were so seminal and so numerous that he's regarded as the most influential scientist in history. Many refer to him as the greatest genius who ever lived. And yet Newton's central passions were alchemy and the Bible, about which he wrote millions of words, far more than what he devoted to his scientific interests. "Gravity explains the motions of the planets," he wrote, "but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion. God governs all things and knows all that is or can be done." I suggest you make Newton your role model, Virgo. It's a favorable time to forge a new spirit of cooperation between the two parts of your psyche -- let's call them the rational and the transcendent -- which so many of today's thinkers have told you cannot possibly co-exist.

Interesting, as I think of myself as a fairly rational person* who has always had some inclination towards the transcendental thought. I loved Emerson and Thoreau when I studied American Literature. I haven't read them in a long time, but I remember one or both of them discussing transcendentalism. Maybe I should look up that definition again...

Ok, this interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendent
I didn't know there was this much related to the idea. American Transcendentalism is attributed to Emerson and Thoreau and others, like I remembered, and its "core beliefs was an ideal spiritual state that 'transcends' the physical and empirical and is only realized through the individual's intuition, rather than through the doctrines of established religions."

I don't know about anyone else, but that kinda makes sense to me. But I remember more of Emerson's other writings on nature. I guess I need to re-read some of this.

* (I trouble myself with rationalizing my own feelings sometimes and it sometimes make simple things complicated for me. But lately I've just been going along with "I feel happy right now" and that is good)

No comments:

Post a Comment