Sunday, March 16, 2014

A Ribbon at a time

"I'll tell you how the sun rose a ribbon at a time." - Emily Dickinson
Whenever I see the sunrise, or even a sunset, I think of this line from one of Emily Dickinson's poems. I love that detail, imagining each little bit of light as a ribbon. And what do we do with that ribbon as the day moves forward or closes? If you could take a ribbon of sunrise with you throughout your day, how would you feel? And what difference would it make?
Use this line alone as a free-writing prompt for 15 minutes or so, and just go with it. I've also included the entire poem below.
I'll tell you how the Sun rose
by Emily Dickinson
I'll tell you how the Sun rose --
A Ribbon at a time --
The Steeples swam in Amethyst --
The news, like Squirrels, ran --
The Hills untied their Bonnets --
The Bobolinks -- begun --
Then I said softly to myself --
"That must have been the Sun"!
But how he set -- I know not --
There seemed a purple stile
That little Yellow boys and girls
Were climbing all the while --
Till when they reached the other side,
A Dominie in Gray --
Put gently up the evening Bars --
And led the flock away --

No comments:

Post a Comment