Sunday, March 16, 2014

Sunday Sunset, 1-24-2010

Sunset at Lake Hefner, January 24, 2010
I went to Lake Hefner around 4pm to walk for a while. I pulled out my old running shoes, still a little dusty from being worn for a hike or camping trip, and tied them on.  I get started walking, not in the power-walk way or too slow of a stroll either, just fast enough to keep beat to some of the faster paced songs on my music player.  Then I started getting bothered by the upper heel of both shoes, the part that rubs against the back of my ankle.  I stop at a bench, take off the shoes, and tug and pull to stretch the shoe some and bend back the upper heel. This doesn't really make much of a difference. I'm already a good way in, so it's okay to turn back now.  I'd been walking for about 30 minutes. Plus, I had stopped to take a few pictures until the battery in my camera died.  I just knew it would before I left home!
So I finally get all the way back to my car, realize I have a couple of batteries that work, but I don't know for how long.  I just want to capture the sunset again. So I sit by this solitary tree for another 30-40 minutes, thinking, exploring ideas for the next poetry book, thinking about people, and listening to the songs on my music player. I realize my left ankle feels stiff, so I check it out.  Apparently it did blister and bleed.  The little elastic pull loop at the upper heel of the shoes had worn through and had rubbed at my ankle until it bled.  Oh great. Ouch.
But at least I got some pretty sunset pictures (look at the Lake Hefner set on flickr) and I did manage to walk around an hour total.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment