Sunday, March 16, 2014

waiting on weight

I don't like what has happened. I looked at pictures from 6 years ago, ones I shot of myself in my little apartment in graduate school one autumn. Thin arms, narrow shoulders, slimmer face, a sparkle in the eyes.  The last 3 months in that apartment with only a minimal part-time job, post-graduate, waiting to hear about job applications I had sent, and then finally resolving to move back to Jackson until I found work.  A month and a half later I was in Kentucky.   I didn't know anyone and at first I was a homebody, cooking a lot, and thus eating more.  And I wasn't running around town, up and down stairs, etc.  And I was hitting my late twenties.

Now I am in my mid-thirties looking back on photos of myself in my mid-twenties thinking, where did it come from?  But I know where it came from.  Evenings spent watching episodic television and rented movies, hours on the computer chatting with friends, writing whining journal entries, and sitting, sitting, sitting.  For a short while I tried running.  I tried to go to the gym.  I just didn't stick with either.  I tried intense yoga. Gave it up and opted for the two-hour absorbing movie instead.
2011. I'm going to try a little harder to change a little more of what I have tried before.

No comments:

Post a Comment