Sunday, March 16, 2014

Southern Red Oak

One of my favorite trees is in Berea, Kentucky. This is a terrible photo of it, but it is what I have for right now.
Here it is again, in high contrast black-n-white.
I am told this is a Southern Red Oak and it stands very tall with long-reaching limbs along the edge of a field with other nearly as tall trees.  Red has a lightning bolt scar down its side, and he leans a little into the pain it left behind.  He reaches out to the left for the nearest tree to help him stand up straight, but all the other trees are just out of reach, for now.  I have sat cross-legged on blankets under his limbs practicing my banjo, playing John Henry, Redwing, and Little Birdie.  I have wandered here in the middle of the night when I could not sleep and laid down on the grass to look up at the stars.  I have stood looking at him and wondered if he and my dad had the same strength.  I have written the two together into a long poem, memories entwined with the leafy limbs, arguments caught in the roots, familiarity climbing the trunk, and forgiveness as heavy as stones scattered among the acorns and dandelions.
Are there any trees that have captured your feelings?  Did one symbolize a relationship, or became the foundation of a friendship?

No comments:

Post a Comment