Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Fences and Threads of Home

February 18, 2010
"Don't wait for me;
I'm mending fences of my past.
'Cause I'm wild running through the hills,
And my eyes are wondering how you feel,
And the miles upon miles keep falling from the sky.
Don't wait for me,
When the flowers die."

- Ryan Bingham, "Don't Wait for Me"
February 17, 2010
"Too much crowds in to break the thread of discourse and make me forget that irony is always, and only, a trick of light on the late landscape."
- Robert Penn Warren, "Brother to Dragons: A Tale in Verse and Voices"
February 16, 2010
"I'll be true to you,
oh yeah, you know I will.
I'll be true to you forever or until
I go home..."

- M. Ward, "To Go Home"
I've been exploring some ideas with my writing lately, letting some images stir around until I am ready to make something with them. The first was red thread. The second was a lake, a fishing boat, a father and daughter, their familial bond strained over time. I don't know the cause yet. And then fences bending under strong wind, buttons, and herons are trying to find their way into the scene, not just in the background of description but somewhere important in the mix of interactions, emotions, and memory.
What do some of these symbols mean to you? Give yourself 15 or 20 minutes to write without self-edit and let the ideas flow into something.

No comments:

Post a Comment