Sunday, March 16, 2014

House Concert

I went to my first house concert of the year down at a friend's in Oklahoma City.  A lovely house with open doors, beautiful art, an inviting backyard, and an intimate setting to sit and listen to some good music sung right there to you and fellow music lovers.  Last night's concert was Brine Webb and Samantha Crain.
I'd heard Samantha play at the Conservatory just a week ago for Ali Harter's CD Release Party.  I hadn't heard Brine Webb before, and I sure was glad to get a peek at some of his songs last night!  His style has a little melancholy lilt that meanders through a meadow, a forest path, a city street at dusk.  I managed to get there in time to hear about 5 or 6 of his songs, including a lullaby.  I became entranced at his finger-picking style for "The Ghost Family" song, one had said he's written a long time ago.  Check out an interview with him by Sophie Zine and don't miss this video and this video, both from his song "Cigarette Tree."
Brine Webb, House Concert, OKC, OK, March 26, 2010
Samantha Crain played some of her well-known tunes and also some new songs, opening up her last set with "Lions" and closing with "Scissor Tales."  She has an openness to the audience, joking about brown and pink-red koozies and how they were ordered with a real customer service rep named Gregg.  Her song lyrics are full of emotion and no matter how many times she has sung the song, it still sounds poignant with fresh feelings and stories.  I think of sunny days with big fluffy clouds drifting along and midnight walks under constellations and meteor showers when I hear Sam's songs.  Check out some videos on youtube.
Samantha Crain, House Concert, OKC, OK, March 26, 2010
Having seen Samantha with a backing band and now flying solo for a small audience, I'm appreciative of the house concert venue.  I missed the first hour because I got lost (as usual) in downtown Oklahoma City looking for the main mail sorting post office to drop off some bills; By the way, that post office doesn't have a mail drop after hours.  So I was finally relieved to get to the Feuerborn house for the concert of the night.  Such a warm setting, potluck, a little wine and beer, and of course, plenty of other people who appreciate good music.  What a wonderful way to spend a Friday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment