Thursday, March 13, 2014

Naming and Loving

More writing prompts sent to me by a writer-friend early one December.

From Naming the World:
1. Write about a secret from the perspective of someone with the below statement:
* I never told anyone.
* I did tell one person. God help me.
* I never told anyone, but I’ll tell you.
2. Try writing about something you do every day and take for granted.
3. Starter: "She didn’t want to go, but..."
4. Choose an object that interests you enough to suggest it could be someone’s centering symbol. Why does it carry a metaphysical force?
5. You found a feather on the ground on the way over. Start talking to a person you know about this feather.
6. Pick a character that you hate and find something you love about them.
7. What is your character's obsession?
8. Destroy something you love.

Sentence and Phrase Prompts from Marge Piercy's Hard Loving:
1. "I was a rabbit with twigs for bones."
2. "Sometimes an old buffalo man... stares from your face."
3. "Succulent as a burst apricot"
4. "A phosphorescent smear"
5. "Peeling an orange"

No comments:

Post a Comment