Sunday, March 16, 2014

Patience, Trouble, and Distance

I have had a lot of car and computer trouble early this week.  Laptop crashed and required a new hard drive.  The car's O2 sensor and Coolant sensor both were broken and/or missing and the alternator belt was missing. Got all of that replaced and then the alternator belt tore off Tuesday morning while driving into work, so I had the car towed to the auto shop and they replaced it and tried to figure out what caused the problem.  If it happens again, they'll have a better idea of whether or not it was a bad belt or that maybe the alternator is going bad... Or maybe something with the water pump.  But this morning, Wednesday, it drove fine to work without even a squeal, which is unusual but that makes me happy!
I talked with a friend last night that I kept meaning to call and chat with, but something always holds me back, some small fear that inhibits me.  But I am glad he called because I love hearing his voice, hearing about what's going on with him, and sharing a little of what's up with me.  Every time we talk I know we are indeed good friends, and I miss that in-person friendship, but I would never sacrifice what we share by phone over whatever distance.  I hope that he feels a little lighter in spirit after we talk like I do.
So here are a few prompts inspired by my latest events.  I searched for them using one word themes:  Patience, Trouble, Distance.
February 10, 2010
"Somewhere we know that without silence words lose their meaning, that without listening speaking no longer heals, that without distance closeness cannot cure."
- Henri Nouwen (Dutch author, 1932 - 1996)
February 9, 2010
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."
- Thomas Paine (American author and political pamphleteer, whose "Common Sense" and "Crisis" papers were important influences on the American Revolution; 1737-1809)
February 8, 2010
"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time."
- Leo Nikolaevich Tolstoy (Russian novelist and philosopher, 1828-1910)

No comments:

Post a Comment