Sunday, March 16, 2014

Write a Letter

A little back-story: Once I lived in a small town and fell in love with a young man who didn't have the same feelings for me, however we were close friends.  Once he confided in me that he was seeing this one young woman but had heard some rumors about her previous relationships.  He came to ask my opinion, what he thought he should do.  He was angry, hurt, and had been seeking out, finally, someone whom he could sincerely feel love for.  I told him to ask her about it.  Maybe she had changed. This would be an opportunity for her to make new.  I put aside my own feelings for him (not yet confessed) because I wanted him to be happy.  So, the couple dated seriously for a few more months and eventually it ended that summer.  A few years later I confessed my feelings for him, and he said that he was flattered but that he could not love me like that (in so many words, he was really just saying he wasn't physically attracted to me).  Nevertheless, that small town young woman he fell for became some sort of jealous ideal for me.  Not her personality, because I saw through her manipulative nature and what she did to other people I knew after my friend loved her.  No, her style and beauty, somewhat earthy classic.  Petite, curvy.  Racy red lipstick, red dress, dark hair pinned up kind of classic, but also she could pull off country girl in gingham shirt and overalls just as well, a little ivy in her hair.  She is the kind of beauty an average girl envies.

So, I suggest discovering the person you once/or still do envy in some way.  And do yourself a favor.  Write a letter.  You don't ever have to send it.  Actually, it is best that you don't because the envy won't end if you start a little feud with this person.  But write an honest letter explaining what it is about them that you envy, and what holds you back from attaining that same trait.  Recall honestly how others may have been hurt by this person, and how you'd never have done those things.  This can be a really long letter, but the key here is honesty, mainly with yourself.

Maybe you'll burn the letter, and feel some relief of finally having said all that you said.  Maybe you can let it go and focus on what you are attaining in your life for yourself and loved ones.
Maybe you will find some statements that will lend itself to a short story, novel, group of poems.
No matter, once you've had your say, let it go.  Envy can do nothing but hurt you.

No comments:

Post a Comment