Sunday, March 16, 2014

Altruism

I've been thinking about the word "altruism" lately.  Earlier this week someone's use of the word reminded me of something another person once said to me.

In both cases the friend speaking to me used the word to describe me.  The first friend is someone I admire and treasure our friendship during all its distance and long silences that are interrupted with conversations as if we just spoke the day before.   I don't remember what activity or project I was working on for him to comment on my altruistic actions.   But I was flattered that he thought so kindly of me.  The second friend is a musician and an acquaintance than a close friend as we've never confided in each other about anything sentimental or emotional.  I think that he is a talented musician and a friendly guy around town who knows a good many people.  Upon discussion of my video-recording of house concerts and a little freebie of music videos I created for him from recordings of a recent concert, he described my actions as altruistic.  I had forgotten what the word meant and I finally looked it up in the dictionary:

Altruism (pronounced: pronounced /ˈæltruːɪzəm/) is selfless concern for the welfare of others. Altruism is the opposite of selfishness.  The term "altruism" may also refer to an ethical doctrine that claims that individuals are morally obliged to benefit others. (link Wikipedia)

I've always wondered if that could be entirely true, because no matter what we do for others there is still the smallest part within us that is begging to at least recognition, and if we happen to receive recognition I think the next impression is how do we receive it.  Do we bask? Do we humble?  I think that it makes a difference and most people will be annoyed by those who bask in recognition for their altruistic actions, which then becomes not so altruistic.  Because no matter what I do, I want whatever it is to be a gift, and for myself all that I ask is the simplest of gratitude, a spoken "thank you."  And if I do not gain a verbal thank you of recognition but I am able to witness the receipt of whatever my altruistic actions made, a fluttering smile across a face suffices more than any satisfying sweet desert.    Is knowing that you've helped someone else anonymously and seeing them joyful and grateful still altruistic?  I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment